SHOBOX: The New Generation® Returns to Turning Stone on Friday, June 10
Four-Fight Card Featuring Olympic Gold Medalist Bakhodir Jalolov Battling Top Heavyweight Prospect Jack Mulowayi in the Main Event
Oneida Indian Nation Homelands (April 21, 2022) – For the first time since 2019, Turning Stone and the International Boxing Hall of Fame today announced thousands of boxing fans, Hall of Famers, and media are expected to visit Upstate New York to celebrate the historic Hall of Fame Induction Weekend in June. This year’s event also includes the return of SHOWTIME®’s prospect developmental series SHOBOX: The New Generation to Turning Stone with a four-fight card headlined by a must-see clash between 2020 Olympic Gold Medalist and two-time Olympian Bakhodir Jalolov and rising heavyweight prospect Jack Mulowayi.
With three classes of boxing legends being inducted into the Hall of Fame and a super-sized weekend of festivities, this year’s event is guaranteed to be one for the record books.
Boxing Hall of Fame Induction Weekend takes place June 9 – 12, 2022.
The special trilogy event represents a collaborative effort between the International Boxing Hall of Fame, Oneida and Madison Counties, and the Oneida Indian Nation and will give boxing fans from around the country the opportunity to meet and mingle with the most iconic names in boxing throughout this four-day celebration. This year’s Hall of Fame inductees include boxing greats like:
- Floyd Mayweather (2021)
- Laila Ali (2021)
- Bernard Hopkins (2020)
- Wladimir Klitschko (2021)
- Miguel Cotto (2022)
- “Sugar” Shane Mosley (2020)
- Roy Jones Jr. (2022)
- Holly Holm (2022)
- Boxing Promoter Lou DiBella (2020)
With three classes of boxing greats to be inducted, the International Boxing Hall of Fame will welcome its largest-ever group of honorees this year. The Oneida Indian Nation is pleased to support the Hall of Fame during these unique circumstances and will host the Induction Ceremony at Turning Stone to accommodate the larger-than-normal induction class.
“We are excited to welcome thousands of fans along with boxing legends and media back to Central New York and to once again be the capital of the boxing world,” saidOneida Indian Nation Representative and Oneida Nation Enterprises CEO Ray Halbritter. “It is an honor to partner with the Boxing Hall of Fame to host such an iconic weekend that spotlights our entire region.”
“This year’s Boxing Hall of Fame Induction Weekend was three years in the making, so you know it’s going to be big and there is already a lot of excitement building,” saidEdward Brophy, Boxing Hall of Fame Executive Director. “With an exceptional induction trilogy class, four days of non-stop events that span two counties, passionate partners like the Oneida Indian Nation, and legendary Hall of Famers traveling from around the world to Central New York, this is a weekend you will not want to miss.”
“It is a tremendous honor to be promoting a SHOWTIME Boxing show, featuring a Night of Heavyweights, during boxing’s biggest weekend of the year in ‘Boxing’s Hometown’, while also being inducted into the Hall of Fame,” said Lou DiBella, President of DiBella Entertainment and Boxing Hall of Fame Inductee. “Friday night’s fight is primed to ignite the entire weekend and will be just as memorable.”
“We are thrilled to welcome back to our region the iconic Boxing Hall of Fame induction weekend”, said Oneida County Executive Anthony Picente. “Boxing Hall of Fame weekend is a great opportunity to showcase everything our region has to offer.”
“We are looking forward to hosting Boxing Hall of Fame Weekend in Central New York again and to the return of a treasured annual event”, said Madison County Board of Supervisors Chairman and Sullivan Town Supervisor John Becker. “Whether you are visiting in person or watching events at Turning Stone on national television from your living room, this partnership between two great attractions in our region creates a truly unique experience for local boxing fans and people around the country alike.”
Boxing Hall of Fame Weekend: Schedule of Events at Turning Stone
The four-day weekend of non-stop boxing action and events includes a celebratory kick-off event, a Friday nightfight with a stacked card from Boxing Hall of Famer Lou DiBella, the Banquet of Champions, and the Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony.
- Thursday, June 9: Kickoff Event: Celebratory event to kick off Boxing Hall of Fame Induction Weekend in Central New York, boxing’s biggest weekend of the year.
- Friday, June 10: Fight Night: Presented in partnership with Boxing Hall of Famer Lou DiBella and televised live on SHOWTIME, SHOBOX: The New Generation returns to Turning Stone with a four-fight card featuring amateur standout, Olympic Gold Medalist and two-time Olympian Bakhodir Jalolov and rising heavyweight prospect Jack Mulowayi in the main event. Boxing Hall of Fame Inductees will be honored during Friday night’s fight. Tickets for the June 10 heavyweight fight at Turning Stone go on sale Friday, April 22 at 10 a.m. with prices starting at $39. Additional details about the June 10th card will be released soon.
- Saturday, June 11: The Banquet of Champions:Boxing Hall Fame’s annual Banquet of Champions will be held in the Turning Stone Event Center, honoring some of the most notable boxing legends and the most memorable moments in the history of the sport.
- Sunday, June 12: Annual Parade & Induction Ceremony: Boxing’s “Once in a Lifetime” weekend concludes with the Boxing Hall of Fame’s annual parade in Canastota and the Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony. Turning Stone will host this year’sInduction Ceremony to help the Hall of Fameaccommodate a larger-than-ever-before group of three classes of boxing greats.
For the last five years, Turning Stone and the International Boxing Hall of Fame partnered on a multifaceted initiative that spotlights the entire region, garners national attention, and generates more tourism throughout the region. Every year, the pinnacle of the program is the International Boxing Hall of Fame Weekend celebration in June.